26 September 2013

WW1 soldier, Captain Robert Campbell...


Blogland has a way to bring some fascinating facts to readers and I feel as I have learned yet something new again!
With the 100th anniversary of the Great War on the horizon, much is being written about the brave men (and women!) who took a stand and fought for God and Country!

Only today 'Once I Was A Clever Boy' passed on information that I felt well worth a moment of your time! 
John Whitehead is an historian based in Oxford and a member of Oriel College.
His post entitled 'The word of an Officer and a Gentleman' was (as usual) discerning! 
Thanks John! I would not have wanted to miss this!

'When British prisoner of war Robert Campbell asked the Kaiser if he could visit his dying mother, he was astonished to be given permission – on condition that he promised to return.
The Army captain kept his word and returned to the German camp after the two-week trip in November 1916, remaining in captivity until the end of the First World War.'


Capt. Campbell lead the 1st Bn East Surrey Regiment whose badge is pictured above.

Historian Richard van Emden found the almost forgotten mention of Captain Robert Campbell's compassionate leave to see his dying Mum in Gravesend, Kent. 
The Mail Online full article can be read (HERE).

You might also like to check out Richard van Emden's book published on 15 August 2013 called

*Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
  ISBN-13: 978-1408821640

Always happy to pass along something worth while!




2 comments:

  1. I read about this recently, and it really is an incredible story. I believe the British refused the same request to a German POW. It would be interesting to know if he too would have returned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracey for letting us know (I only wish I had the newspapers articles!) and yes, I agree! Sadly we willl never know...
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!