18 March 2013

Lent and Monday's Reflections...

Monday morning...

To be certain we do not loose time perception on this island, ex-RAF hubby and I like to check the calendar and make notes of what is to be done during the week, including plans for going off to the mainland for supplies  (if you miss something, with a roundtrip to the mainland by ferry and the additional travel time throughout the peninsula to reach a food market, you are looking at a mere 3 to 4 hours, that's IF the ferry is running), preparing the mail to be posted, returning library material and so on... 

To our surprise it seems Easter is soon upon us! Perhaps Lent is shorter this year? (just kidding Folks!).


Beginning with Ash Wednesday, Lent (the fourty day period before Easter - 13 February through 30 March 2013), is the period Christians observe as a remembrance of Christ's fourty days withdrawal in the wilderness, ending at sundown Maundy Thursday for Roman Catholics, with Mass for the Lord's Supper. Most churches will be decorated with the royal colour purple to prepare for the King.

In Orthodox churches, Lent began on Clean Monday and is called the Great Lent.

 (Photo source: Coquinaria)

In Medieval times, Lent meant you limited yourself to one meal a day between Ash Wednesday and Maundy Thursday, and abstained from all meat and dairy produce. You were allowed: fish, vegetables, legumes, grains, wine and beer, sugar and honey, fruit, dried fruits and nuts. The medieval way also meant that of vegetables and fruit you were only allowed those varieties that were local and in season! 
The latter makes sense don't you think?!

At any rate, for those of you who enjoy cooking for their family (If not reading, I spend most of my time it seems in the kitchen!), I have an interesting site to share: 

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/03.2histrecept.htm

The interesting fish pie in the above photo is of course just an example of what you might like to prepare for your loved ones. 

 (Photo source: Coquinaria)

I'll stick to this pie myself as I hate to hear ex-RAF grumble about the fish's eye looking at him!

Happy Monday!
 


7 comments:

  1. Oh looks delish...I think winter had me eating way to much and I will be spending spring fasting hehehe ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear, Hear! It's always tempting in the cold months to indulge...Yikes! I cannot resist anything made with chocolate Heather!

      Delete
  2. After spending some time in China last month...I seem to have lost my appetite for fish. The fish pie above is a work of art though!

    Thanks for stopping by 'my front porch' today...and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noelle,
    Very interesting how different cultures celebrate lent. I am Catholic, so we don't eat meat on Fridays until Easter. I don't care for fish much, but this fish pie looks delightful. Thank you for your comment on our post today. So, yours was named after a song? I think I mentioned to you that 'Dream A Little Dream' is one of my favorite songs. Is that the song that's named after your blog? The one that is sung by the Mamas and the Papas is my favorite. Happy Thursday, Noelle.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a Roman Catholic, married to an Anglican though and with two children christened in the United Methodist church (long story) and to be sure fish figures a lot in our diet (being on the coast) but not always on Fridays!
      The only ones I remember singing this song were Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. I do know of the Mamas and Papas though, just never heard their version that I know of.
      Happy Spring to you!

      Delete
  4. The song that I love is actually called 'Dream A Little Dream Of Me.' I wish you could hear it sometime.
    A happy day to you.
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!